Sunday, August 8, 2010

Wozniak Ving Fredrich

A few months ago, Matt and I decided we would adopt another dog to keep Lebowski company. The dude is a social being, he loves being around people and other dogs and I've never seen him snap at anything so we figured a buddy would be a good idea. On Friday, we went to SEAACA with the dude and took turns checking out the small dogs. Matt liked this guy right away. Just like the dude, he was brown and black, a pronounced snout, and was in a cage with a bunch of barkers but remained quiet.
They brought him out so Lebowski could meet him. There was no barking, no lunging, they just sniffed and were chill so we figured they'd be fine together. We put down the deposit and my panic-y mentality began. Ohmy, what am I thinking? Another dog? I have two cats, another dog, plants, the house, and Matt! I have enough to do when I'm not working! Ah! Did we make the right decision? Matt was great of course, telling me we did the right thing and things would be fine and reminding me I felt the same way about the dude and he turned out great.

We picked him up the next day and he had a fever so they couldn't neuter him. The pound gave us the option of an out which I had to double think it. But no, we kept going, they gave him the ID chip, gave him a shot, gave us his prescriptions, we leashed and collared him with his new collar and name tag and walked out with him, put him in the kennel in the car, and came home.
The cats were unfazed. Gadget, who has taken approximately a year to warm up to Lebowski and will actually be in the same room as him now actually has been within a foot of Wozniak and hasn't cared. Lebowski has not been allowed to interact with him besides sleeping in crates next to each other in the kitchen and through the glass doors so Lebowski won't get sick 'cause The Woz sure is, he's pretty much just sleeping right now, which is fine by us.
As he laid on our couch, his head resting on my arm, I got kinda emotional. Who knows when the last time anyone showed him some kindness was. Who knows when he was last petted and snuggled and loved. Who knows what people did to him before he came home with us. He sure is boney, they probably hadn't fed him much. Now he's part of a family with humans and cats and another dog. He belongs to us and he has begun a new life. 
Oh, his name: Steve Wozniak is one of the co-founders of Apple Computer and I thought Wozniak and Lebowski sounded like cool names together. His middle name, like Gadget's and LJ's is after a great black actor, Ving Rhames in this case. Gadget's middle name is Whitaker after Forrest Whittaker and LJ's is Morgan after Morgan Freeman. Lebowski's middle name is mine, I'm not a great black actor but unofficially it's Poitier after Sidney Poitier.

No comments: