Saturday, September 11, 2010

props where props is due

Although we admit the kids on that blog have been jumping the shark, I gotta give it up for their home office makeover they completed in early August.
Admittedly the reason I am a big fan of it is because it reminds me a lot of my own office and am glad they did things I'd done if only to confirm my ideas were not bad. Heck, they were good. For example, if you're gonna have a home office, it needs a sofa that turns into a two person sleeper because that way you don't lose the capability to keep having that room as a "guest room". Obviously I had the same idea awhile ago so I'm glad they agreed with me.
Here it is opened up with cute bedding and pillowcases and yes, it does in fact sleep two people.

They used a bookshelf in their office for storage and housing of their printer, much like my use of that big white unit, but instead made theirs all cutesy and genius-ly painted the wall behind the bookcase which is probably my favorite element in their office.

My other favorite element is their postcard ledge wall. I should just steal this idea. They made a ledge and rotate out the postcards as they feel like and sweet readers send them postcards from all over the world. I framed a few postcards but there's something to be said about this idea since it's very changeable and you wouldn't have to nail in a bunch of holes for frames. Just the ledges.
I kinda like kinda/don't like that little shelf thing in the middle of the desks. I appreciate it's utility but I don't like seeing it out, makes it look way office-y. But I really like that you can't see cables. Also, I want those dang chair pads. I bet World Market is out, just my luck.

I do this with my cables at work so it made me laugh that they do this too. Bonus points for their cute little blue binder clips. Maybe I should get colorful ones for mine too.

Obviously this is where I got my idea for the cable wrangling to eliminate the cords under the desk. They had more of a need for something hefty, I just had to plug in a few things. Still though, very organized.

I also have a to do list on an eraseable surface but theirs is admittedly, much cuter.

When they brought up the fact that they wanted to have the office be an office/guest room/playroom I was like, idiots, you can't have it all, just let it be kids. But they pulled it off, it does do all the stuff they want it to do and they added some toys and some of the baby's stuff in there and ba dum bum.
I am a big fan of what they did to the top of this bookcase, some cute planter thing and a box of local magazines which funnily enough, I do in my guest room.

I like the idea of a magnetic wall but those flower things are just meh. Not my style. Also they used an ottoman as both footrest and toy storage so hey, more playroom stuff.
So I know it's easy to be a hater especially towards overly perky and enthusiastic people when I'm a bitter, sarcastic fart but I give it up when it's good so clap clap critters. You done good.

No comments: