Saturday, September 4, 2010

sea salt coffee and the glories of food exploration

I live to eat. Soon as I started actually making my own food, I found the act of eating and the knowledge of food to be a true love. Other than my true love of course who gets to benefit from my other love, nothing makes me happier than making and eating food. My most recent food experience summarizes my new life as food explorer. I was reading Sunset magazine and came across their new restaurant discoveries in the area, aka my to do list. They mentioned an iced sea salt coffee from a bakery that hails from Taiwan and has opened a location in Irvine called 85ÂșC. I told Matt about it and wanted very much to go check it out. Of course, a trip to Irvine for coffee sounds absurd right, I mean, it's a 30 minute drive at least, more in traffic. But I had to. It's claim of deliciousness, the newness of a bakery that comes from another country, the yelp reviews proclaiming their baked goodies, it was too much! I'm an explorer. It's out there, I need to see for myself. Taste for myself.
So we went and it was amazing. The coffee was great, the pastries were cheap and delicious, Matt devoured a garlic cheese bread happily. All the reviews warned me of long lines and crazy big crowds but we got lucky, it was nice and light. I have plans to return and bring more friends. Daring explorers if you will. Because what's a great discovery if you can't share it? All of my trips now revolve around where we'll eat. Preliminary research on San Diego, San Francisco, and Boston eats were of the utmost importance. And they all pay off when you get a good meal instead of McD's take out.
Recently we went to visit Matt's grandparents and of course, as in 90% of all conversations with Evelyn Fredrich, restaurants became the subject. Do not get me started on restaurants. It's like asking some nerdy sports person about their favorite team and they rattle on stupid useless facts and you just regret you asked. Luckily, restaurant talk always puts a bug in people's ears. "What was the name of that taco place you mentioned?" "Have you been to Napa Rose?" "Where's a good place to eat in Santa Monica?" I love being asked those questions, I love giving you the info even though you didn't ask. I think I should just keep a little notebook and write down all the restaurants I mention in conversations so I can give people a little list at the end of the conversation and they can go explore themselves. In the conversation with Matt's grandparents I think I mentioned Mongolian, Thai, and Mexican food. His grandma said, "Wow, you're not afraid to try anything are you?" I smiled. So true. Well as much as a Vegetarian can explore food, obviously I have my limits.
Luckily since work pays for our lunches, I've had a LOT of different restaurants in the greater Los Angeles/Hollywood and Santa Monica areas so I have a lot of recommends if you guys are interested. Not that you asked. It's a badge of honor knowing the best places to eat in LA. And it's such an ongoing journey. I will hear of a place, look it up, and add it into my address book followed by notes like "try the crepes" "recommended by Gwyneth Paltrow" "featured on Food Network" and I make efforts to try them and make my own notes. Ridiculously nerdy right?

Well, I guess it's my hobby. I'm glad I finally found one.

1 comment:

the hickles said...

ooh, this may just have to become another blog for you... you could "food critic" and "recommend"... sounds wonderful to me =)