Wednesday, February 22, 2012

day of birth activities

For the actual day of my 30th birthday (I have to say that over and over because I still can't believe I'm 30) I wanted to have breakfast, lunch, and dinner out so I wouldn't have to cook. For breakfast we went somewhere I'd never been, nor heard of, which was really surprising considering where it was located:
I had read something on Disneyland's facebook page about good vegetarian eateries in the magic kingdom. Feeding Matt of course is a challenge at the happiest place on earth so I was very interested to see what they had to say and they mentioned a tofu breakfast option at Tangaroa Terrace. I was shocked because I know every single restaurant at Disneyland and have probably eaten at all of them at some point so what is this Tangaroa Terrace place? Where is it?
It's at the Disneyland hotel which I've never been to since we've always lived so close to Disneyland. I guess it's recently redesigned and the entire hotel had this awesome retro vibe from when the park first opened. I checked a few of the lobbies of the towers and they had awesome Disneyland designs and old photographs. Remember that old school Disneyland entrance Miri? They had a monorail water slide for the pool. Hmm, guess I should have taken more pictures...
So we went over and checked it out and had a very pleasant breakfast on the patio as it played some neat tiki hula soothing music. Actually what the crap is that music called? I wouldn't mind owning a few songs to play in the office but what genre is it? Anyway hotels are usually your best bet when it comes to food options and Disneyland ambiance well, you can't beat that. 
Unfortunately that tofu breakfast option? Totally out since it was made with eggs. Instead, Matt had these oatmeal pancake things and some fruit. I did have that tofu egg white thing and it was not bad at all, if only it would have come with a side of potatoes. Again, did not take a pic of my food. What is my problem? I am a horrible restaurant reviewer!
The hotel had a great fireplace seating area. A nice separation from the bustle of Downtown Disney just a hop skip over.
Of course, we went to Disneyland for a little bit. I think I'm reading a birthday text here.
Since we had been rear-ended the day before we had a chiro appointment that day so we didn't have too much time to spend at the big D (not a big deal, some girl just hit us and bent our bumper, we were neck sore so we went to get checked out). There was more people than I'd expected so we went to Toontown and rode Gadget's Go-Coaster. A thirty minute wait for a thirty second ride.
I mean, if you can't wear pink pants at Disneyland on your 30th birthday, when can you eh?
Gadget was my favorite Disney character growing up, she was an inventor and pretty non-traditional girl mouse. Nowadays I wonder if she was a lesbian. It might explain the jump suit.
For lunch we went to Thuyen Vien, a Vietnamese veggie place we love and for dinner, we went to my favorite fancy restaurant: The Cat & The Custard Cup. We love going there and making it difficult for the chef who has to go vegan for Matt. I'm sure they love it when we come to eat there.
I had sparking wine that was pretty tasty. The waitress said it was from Napa, here's the link
After that we went home and chilled to get ready for the party the next day. It was a nice way to spend a day with just my honey and me. He's pretty terrific, kept saying "whatever you wanna do, it's your birthday" like a good man. I so very much appreciate this gift of a man I married. And to think we get to keep celebrating birthdays together for many years more. 

No comments: