Tuesday, May 7, 2013

it's green!

Don't worry Michelle, I love it. Thanks for the concerned phone call though.
Believe it or not it's the first time I've had to paint a room in a house I lived in. That's both sad and cool because we've always lived in apartments that we couldn't paint growing up and then the condo had been painted by painters before we moved in and I never repainted anything. I had to read about how people paint! There was actually a good article on Real Simple's May issue where I learned good tips and how the paint grid is the new tray (they were right) and that green frog tape is superior to blue painter's tape. The prep work by the way, takes awhile since you're disrupting the fragile eco system of a room. Everything that was small I took out of the room or put in the closet and put the big pieces in the middle and covered the desk and the couch. I didn't cover the bookcase or the cabinet, figured they'd be fine. Hmm I didn't take any pics of the prep work well, here's the one I already posted. Anyway, I ran butcher paper along the bottom where the floor meets the baseboards and then taped off the stuff we didn't want painted on, even the ceiling and then I cut the corners and Matt rolled, waited a few hours, switched jobs, and did the second coat which got the job done. It took a gallon and half of a quart so I have some left over for touch ups but not so much that I feel we bought too much paint. I'm new at this everybody, it's my first house!!
This was the moment of truth where I hoped the couch and the wall would live in harmony and whew!
..And with pillows.
Since everything was cleared off I decided to finally knock this off the to do list where I screwdrivered the legs from one lack onto the top of another one.
See? Simple. Any idiot can do it. After this I added felt pads on top of the screwdriver hole. Felt pads are the most important item a person with a house that has wood floors needs.
The tea trolley is looking especially appropriate now.
 Doesn't the green just really make the white windows and doors really pop?
This looks like a cavalcade of white furniture. Maybe when I replace the white TV cabinet it won't look  so extreme?
When you look at it straight on like this, that white cabinet looks weird but it's staying until the storage situation in here improves.
And another sigh was seeing the rug with the walls. Can't wait to start nailing some stuff on the walls.
Now imagine a hot pink coffee table instead of those storage cubes. Also this angle makes this corner look super busy. I definitely want to trade out the hot pink trays in the corner too.
When I sent the picture to Ali she said it was "so grassy and fresh" to which I replied, "that's what I was going for. Fresh and grassy. Like a freaking english garden tea party."

Now to patiently wait for Downton Abbey Season 4.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

this picture is waaaay better than the one I saw originally. I like it.