Tuesday, June 16, 2009

gift basket

The policy around the Fredrich household as far as gifting newlyweds is simple: cashmoney. We will no longer go to a registry and buy things the couple is registered for. Instead we write checks or stick some dough in an envelope of a card we already own that can work as a wedding card. Sounds heartless? Meh. It's what they most need. They already have love.

BUT. Showers are a different story. The whole point is to open and show what you got, so in honor of one of Matt's cousins getting married I got the bride to be a basket full of stuff she'd registered for and decided to post a few helpful tips on gifting baskets for you all to enjoy.
1) Ross/Marshalls has excellent and cheap baskets. I got a three pack of baskets and put the bride's present in one and kept the other two. Selfish you say? Sneaky? Underhanded? You bet.
2) I like to point out where the gift receipt is in the present. Sometimes I put it in a colored envelope. This time I made a makeshift slot in a card so she can return things if necessary.
3) Dry Liner (aka wite out) is awesome for removing the price on items. Bed, Bath, & Beyond prints the prices right on the pricetag and instead of cutting it out or crossing it out with a pen, the dry liner blends right in and can be scratched off to reveal the price if so inclined.
4) Custom printing a card makes a big difference. For Matt's mom's birthday one year, I made her a Trader Joe's gift basket with her favorite scent, citrus, and made a card where I printed a bunch of halves of oranges. She thought it was the cutest thing. And nothing is better than impressing your mother in-law on her birthday.
For this bride, since she had the foresight to register for a potato masher, seriously, you're gonna need it. I scanned a picture from my favorite recipe for mashed potatoes, from her majesty of course, and printed it on the outside and printed the recipe on the inside.
Personalized & thematic and we know I like me some themes. Happy Gifting.

1 comment:

Ambre said...

Cuteness. Tips duly noted.