Saturday, April 24, 2010

moving up

On Wednesday night, after my first day on a job I got a text message from my usual producer asking if I was willing to production manage a job, the same day I got another inquiry into if I was willing to production manage another job. Which means, I'm being asked to move up.

I've been coordinating for two years and some change and to be honest, hadn't really though about moving up just yet. It might be because I really like my job and know I'm pretty good at it. So when the inquiry came I had about 2 minutes to think about it, to ask myself if I was ready. Sure. I don't know how to do the payroll (a huge job as the production manager) but I can learn along the way and ask those that have done it before and have offered themselves to show me the ropes. Sure, I can do it.

Obviously I want to move up, who wouldn't? It was just so different from the time that I was asked to move up to coordinating. I was just waiting for that opportunity, just wishing someone would give me the chance, almost burgeoning on bitter for being an assistant and knowing I could do the coordinator job. They all said the hardest jumps to make were from office PA to coordinator and then from production manager to producer. I guess going from coordinating to managing is an easy step.

It wasn't a complete shock that our producer asked me to step up. Just a little surprise. I know she likes me after many years working together and our production manager and I had not too long ago had a conversation that someday I would be managing and if he were not available we were certain our producer would ask me to fill in. Someday right? Hmmm, how about now?

Unfortunately it didn't work out in the end due to scheduling and the fact that staying on my five day job was more lucrative than doing the one day shoot, but the fact that I was asked leaves me feeling that it was nice to be nominated. And also that it's time to stop thinking like a coordinator and start thinking like a manager.

Mrs Manager.

No no, its just manager.

2 comments:

Ambre said...

Way to go!! See, I told that van driver that you were the production manager. =) Foreshadowing. Definitely. Love you! Thought of you yesterday when I made a lemon jelly roll. Yummers.

Anonymous said...

"Congratulations, Mr. Manager!" "Yeah! I'm Mr. Manager!" "No no, we just say manager." "But you just said-" "Doesn't matter who."