Thursday, February 10, 2011

grandma aud and grandpa lou's house

One of the things I really wanted to do while seeing the roomie was to visit her grandma and grandpa in Stockton. They have an incredible mid century home that was designed by a guy who was a house designer not an architect. Grandma Aud said the guy had drawn up plans one way when he'd met her family and then came by to present the plan and met two more daughters he didn't know about. "I didn't know you had two daughters!" He tore up the plans and started again. That's a designer. Anyway the house is chock full of beautiful, classic mid century elements I noticed a lot more now than back in the day when I thought the house was cool but now it is cool to the extreme. Kitchen.
See through open shelving behind glass on both sides. AH!
One of Ambre's favorite things in her grandmas house is the drawer full of sugar.
Sweet girl likes sugar. Go figure.
Turquoise milkshake mixer. Awesome blender.
Hello cute wire basket.
Hello white knobs on dark wood I would never dream of painting because it looks so good in that light.
Skylight in the kitchen. The house has three atriums, one of which has an orange tree my dumb butt forgot to photograph. They're my 2nd favorite element in the house. Maybe Am can snap some pics for us and send them next time she visits her grandma.
Check that wallpaper yo. I bet Kelley Wearster would be on it like white on rice.
The island is brilliant. The whole layout of the kitchen is perfect. Wall full of cabinets. Close enough for good work flow. Plenty of light.
And a drinking fountain in the sink. Am explained it was so the kids wouldn't dirty glasses, very important in housewifery. BRILLIANT. Why don't we still do that?
I am a sucker for a little work station in the kitchen with a desk. I don't feel the need for one since I don't have a family full of children living with me (Am's dad is one of five) but I think it's a must have for families with lots of kids.
Intercom that goes to every room in the house. No longer works, ask Am's dad for explanation.
 Breakfast dining area. Who wouldn't kill for that two tiered stand?
Caned table and swivel seats.
Daily bread.
Dope chandelier. Can't tell if it's original or something she got recently from Pottery Barn.
Dope water lily looking light fixture
Hurt me so good. I want that over my table in the living room.
Am is enjoying laughing at this book. SO SO sexist.
Shoes that grandma wore as a little girl.
Brass art installation over the formal living room fireplace.
Last supper. SO cool. The halo behind Jesus is made of what appears to be a mother of pearl button. Phenom.
Dresser. Chair.
Girls bathroom. Drawer for little girls to reach the sink to brush their teeth. I've actually seen this in modern houses. Pretty smart. Step stools are ugly ugly things most of the time.
Vanity across from the sink in the girls bathroom. Check them stools. Imagine being like 17 and getting ready for prom there and your 16 year old sister is sitting next to you and can't wait for her turn next year. Looking at you with admiration.
Oh clock. You're so cute.
Long dresser that pairs with taller dresser in the antique room in the girls room. I am so a fan of that middle row of dressers with the moulding. I can imagine a blogger painting it and updating the look but it's so classic.
Ah the ole brass twin beds.
With dope ass nightstand.
I kinda freaked when I saw this headboard. 
WHAT'S GOING ON HERE HEADBOARD?! Why are you so hot?!
Knobbery in grandpas bathroom.
Tiffany windows in g'pas bathroom. Looks, light AND privacy.
And this is my favorite element in the house. The bar in the den. 
Playing bartender.
Dorks. Grandma did allow us to make ourselves something if we so chose 'cause we're big kids now.
We just pretended this time.
Yes please! Both sets.
 SUPER yes please!
Now this is a brilliant way to display the matchbooks. Did she DIY it Am? Or did she buy it?
 I have a little collection of matchbooks in a bowl but this one takes the cake.
 And the classiest dame in the whole wide world and funny to boot.
Thanks for letting me tour your beautiful home Grandma Aud!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

LOVE the step stool pull out! step stools are ugly AND your children can move them to reach things you aren't really thrilled about them getting... not that my perfect children would use them in any way i wouldn't approve of.