Monday, April 4, 2011

spring cleaning: the laundry room

Why not clean out the room where cleaning supplies are and where our clothes get clean right? The first stop was a box labeled "misc. hardware" and anyone that has a box labeled misc. anything, is in for a heap of trouble. Most of the hardware here was related to furniture assembly since I've purchased my fair share of furniture to be assembled.
Then I did the ole baggy method and combined like items and put them in a ziplock and put them back in the box.
Aww memories of dressers and bookcases...
The next thing was purely for looks. Just to balance out my nature of function vs. pretty. This jar had a lid where I had some fake lemons in it but something fell on the lid and broke it so it is now full of things that don't need to be lidded.
Can you guess the next thing we took care of here? Where installation took both Matt & me, one of the few things we've ever installed together.
Close up.
Das right. Clothesline. It was a few bucks at World Market and I'd always wanted one just to say I had one but it's actually pretty out of the way and useful.
I've been using it to dry the dish towels when they're wet.
Got a new duster because Martha told me I needed this kind and we were shooting at a Walmart so I had to buy one. Obviously.
The laundry items are the closest to the washing machine. After all the efforts of keeping our clothes chemical free, it's hard to find dryer sheets free of scent so I buy the scent-free kind, which defeats the purpose of dryer sheets almost. Aside from the whole static thing.
Trader Joe's had these dryer bags that last 5-10 loads and smell really great.
I brought in a dry erase board so we can wipe off a number whenever we use the bag so we know when it's time to replace them.
I'm trying this laundry detergent by my homeboy JR Watkins out partly because it's cute as HECK but it smells pretty good and gets the job done. It's actually powder form and I get the highly concentrated kind at fresh & easy.
There's the bins labeled appropriately.
The jars full of home stuff like cabinet knobs, batteries, light bulbs, nails, and a big jar full of all the hex keys and tools that come with, you guessed it, furniture assembly.
The doggy section. Spoiled mongrels.
The cleaning supplies. Let's talk about how Target is no longer carrying the green tea and aloe scented all purpose cleaner and dish soap. I'm gonna cry. Or order them online from the man himself and have it sent to my house in bulk. Seriously, I have that spray in almost every room of my house, it smells amazing and works wonders. I NEED IT!
Ah that square lamp from Ikea, never thought it would have a use and it actually does.
Why I have two ironing boards? On is a tabletop size and it actually mounts onto the iron holster and the other one is the larger kind that I use to iron tablecloths.
Hanging basket full of "white" cloths.
Here's the whole thing. See you can barely see the clothesline.
And here's another shot of the clothespins.
'Cause it ain't a laundry room unless there's a jar full of clothespins in it.

1 comment:

jill f said...

Love, love, love the clothesline addition! Great idea!