Friday, January 11, 2013

burbank kitchen inspiration

I don't plan on changing the color scheme of the kitchen when we move and since it's hard to mock things up since I have no furniture or layout decided since I want to live there a few months and see how I work. I still want a blue wall with mostly black, white, yellow, and turquoise/teal accessories. But for now here's where we are and where we hope to go in terms of overall kitchen aesthetic. The kitchen is located in the middle of the house with no windows but gets light from the opening into the dining area and back door. 
Of all the houses we saw, this one had the best layout potential for a kitchen and most storage. Whew. This is one side of the kitchen with the microwave, stove, and sink. No dishwasher but don't you worry, I plan on changing that.
And here's the other side.
After working in my kitchen for the past four years and looking at this kitchen I know, there is not enough workspace for moi. I do keep my countertops pretty bare and the fact that the microwave, though not my favorite arrangement, is mounted does help things off the counter. I need more empty workspace. Of course mine would be much smaller than the one we have now since we don't have the room but dare I say I am glad since the one we have now is almost too big. I'd love to knock this wall out and just have an island with some seating on the other side for casual breakfasts.
Off the bat I think I want the fridge and pantry to switch places but nothing for certain yet. We are gonna be on pins and needles to see if the fridge will fit 'cause according to my hasty measurements it won't.
Someday I'd like a pull out pantry but I like that this one is pretty accessible.
I want to put the cookbooks on the top shelf (maybe remove the doors) and the open shelf would be for the stand mixer. There's an opening in the back that goes into the plug for the fridge I can plug the mixer into as well as any other appliance or put the cookbooks there on display. 
One of the best things about this kitchen is that they made the shelves adjustable. How freaking genius is that?
This wall I would love to mount those picture ledges and display my barefoot contessa collection. Also I saw someone had painted a wall in their kitchen with magnetic primer and chalkboard paint and that would be dope.
Like this. Except it would only be hermajesty.
As you know gang, most of my life I've been into white cabinets and black or marble countertops in a modern kitchen.
But lately, I've been thinking of this sort of combo with grey bottom cabinets, white upper cabinets, a marble-ish light grey (or Corian ones I been hearing good things about them), and a subway tile backsplash which sounds all mishmashed but it works. For example:
Grey cabinets, marble counters and marble backsplash. So purty.
And overall, I just think dark grey looks so posh. 
And this kitchen I mean forget about it. Drool. Even the wood open shelving, the glass doors, the brentwood chairs, the clear hanging pendant, white uppers, it's all so perfect together.
I currently have a grey island base now and I love it. I never thought I'd want anything other than white cabinets but I am seriously considering dark grey bottom ones at least, plus, don't you think they'd show stains less? How do we feel about grey cabinets.

No comments: