Tuesday, March 26, 2013

time to accept this office is different from the last one

I think I've been living a land of denial. About how the layout for my current office is totally different from the layout of the last one. The furniture plan in my mind has been working off of the layout of a small square room and this room is actually a large long rectangle.
The main part of my denial is my determination to hang onto or make this large cabinet work. It's not gonna work EvY, stop trying to make fetch happen, it's not gonna happen. 
What this little world needs is, pardon my french, a big ass sideboard or floating fauxdenza. Huge. Something that can take up the majority of the wall and where inside of it I can hide all these uglies and maybe even custom make a litter box for the critters to use that's hidden behind doors. 
The elimination of this cabinet would lead to two things. 1) I'd be out of a file cabinet but that could easily be solved with the purchase of this beauty (maybe even two of them) I've been plotting in my evil mind to purchase:
And 2) I would want a bigger TV since it would now sit on the top of the cabinet and wouldn't have to be hidden. Nothing extreme, maybe 32-40", just something bigger than what I have now because watching TV on the couch from the opposite side of the room wasn't a big deal before since the room was a small square now I'm squinting to watch Sophia, Blanche, Dorothy, and Rose as they get arrested for prostitution. I'm getting old people and my eyesight just ain't what it used to be. If Matt reads this I know he's thinking WHAT?? I told you you it was pointless to have a tiny TV in that cabinet. I TOLD YOU.
Well, see before I really cared about hiding the TV but now I don't care, like a honey badger. Also while I would never try this in the living room with el hombre, I wouldn't mind trying my hand at "hiding the TV in plain sight" by adding pretty things around it to distract from the electronic device that's staring you in the face. Something that Nicole at makingitlovely inspired me by with her own TV. 
And the concept of styling a TV stand went up a notch when she posted this on her blog.
And if I ever get really sick of looking at it, I could just literally hide it and make a cozy for it like this image from my favorite home makeover of all time from Blueprint:
Anyway, as far as the rest of the office is concerned here's my redundant reminders that I'm changing things. Walls will be painted. The desk is fine, from the time this photo was taken I hung up that magnetic bulletin board and recovered it in much more subdued fabric. 
Oh wait I have a picture:
The sofa needs a new cover, new coffee table, and a rug (maybe this one?). I'm waiting to move forward on any of that until new paint's on the wall. I'm still gonna have a wall of frames up here like last time only it'll be wider since I have more wall.
This thing I love but I wouldn't mind doing something like adding some patterned paper to the top tray to give it some color. Or spray painting it? Or adding a mirrored top? Is that too cocaine?
And since I have the room geez, how about a striped armchair? And I'm not gonna lie, it might be just so the cat can lay on it instead and I could get rid of this awful plastic thing. I'd cover the chair with a blanket and keep that pad on it for cat protection. This pet situation got even worse in the office with the moving of the dog's kennels in here. Better here than the entrance to the house I suppose.
Recently I moved a lot of my decorating mags under this thing and that worked out great.
I'd like to add some window covering here that wouldn't be draped. Like this maybe.
Cause you know, THIS situation isn't exactly ideal.
The closet: she needs help. I want to add an expedit up in here to help because the little bookshelf that's in here so doesn't help me. Have we spoken of my desire to paint the closet door? Big time. Also the gold doorknob: not so much.
I would like to add some more shelving up here to make it a sort of cornered shelf that continues.
Boy was that an idea dump. I'll have to reference this post later since it really has a lot of things I want to do all together in one easy place.

I mean, I do this for you guys, but it's kinda for me. A little.

No comments: