Wednesday, January 3, 2018

top 5 home items for 2018

Last year and the year before that I made a short list of a few home items I wanted and since I got 4 out of 5 I'm gonna say we did good. So here's what would be nice to upgrade keeping in mind that these are just small things that would work if we remodeled. I guess I'm feeling super wordy so this is gonna be unnecessarily long but if you don't wanna read, just look at the pictures.

Overall I'm committing to the "modern farmhouse" thing in that I ONLY want to buy things that would work in other rooms of the house if I felt the need to switch things out. Which basically means anything I buy needs to be black/white/grey and in the style of that aesthetic. I also have a major regret with the master bed and bathroom in that I wish I wouldn't have done the midcentury modern brass thing because now I want to keep the style consistent for the whole house and that room is sort of an outlier (and the office but the office is a funky playroom so it is what it is and I'm cool with it). I did do a few things recently to correct that and we replaced the brass curtain rods with more classic b&w ones which is good, luckily I bought side lamps that work earlier, and the doorknobs are all black too. If I would take it further I would replace the hardware in the bathroom to black. I would keep the midcentury modern furniture until they crapped out which is years down the line. I don't hate them by any means but my style has changed/evolved.

1) Rug upgrades for office/laundry/kid room. I have a problem with rug committing and rug choosing and just... rugs. I chose the wrong sizes, I go for cheap ones that I get sick of and as of right now I am only really into the rug in the living room and maybe the runner. The dogs ruined the rug in the laundry room, I am not wild about the rug in the kids room and I really would like a proper sized rug for the office. Right now it has a rug that was way too big for the living room and barely fits in there but I haven't found a replacement yet. I've realized that what works in our house are the flat wool type rugs with a nice soft felt pad underneath to keep them from sliding and make them softer underfoot. I need things that can be easily vacuumed and for babies to crawl on and not get lint on their hands that they then try to eat. We definitely need a new rug for the laundry room that the dogs won't chew up, they already destroyed another one. I want a better rug for the kids' room and obviously a proper sized one for the office. I am gonna need to mock rugs up in rooms before I commit and read reviews and measure very carefully before I decide to buy which will probably be from RugsUSA.com so we're talking online purchase that I can't see in person. This is Matt's most hated obsession of mine. Once I get them right I'm done! Right?
2) Matching side tables for the office. I didn't quite think through the office side table situation, we just used what we had and now that I've lived with it I think we just need some simple matching side tables that we can use when guests come over and also to stash my magazines on one side and guest blankets on the other and the top drawers can hold remotes and guest room supplies. 
3) Smaller lamps for the office. The lamps we have now are these HUGE mirrored lamps that used to work in many rooms in our house but our style has evolved and I want something smaller that suits the room. Simple and small and modern.
3) Replace light in the master closet. It's a boob light right now and it needs to go.
4) Proper desk chair. I have this very large dining chair there now and I do often wish I had one with wheels that would roll in and out easily but then I start to think hmm would Alice confiscate it to ride in it? Maybe I should get one without wheels.
5) Kitchen Faucet. We won't be doing any remodel type stuff but one thing that might be necessary would be a new faucet for the kitchen. The one we have barely moves and it can always be used again when we fix up the kitchen. 
There's tiny things I'd like to do too but these are purchases. I have high hopes that before we hit the five year anniversary of our house (NEXT MONTH) we will finally paint the living room and kitchen and maybe our master bedroom? ONE CAN DREAM. 

No comments: