Wednesday, May 11, 2011

summer movies: part 1

One particularly average Tuesday, my comic book loving husband and I went to the movies for a 10:15pm showing of our first movie of the summer: Thor.


It was pretty good, I enjoyed it a lot. Especially the god of thunder himself, rawr. Which is rare 'cause I don't normally go for blondes... Anyway, lots of thoughts went through my head watching it, awakened due to my severe withdrawls of the old American ritual of going to the movies.

I was a film major and in college going to the movies was an event. We'd go at all hours, take a big group of friends, it was epic. So many great movies seen at that Regal La Habra as well as some AWFUL ones. Ali can remember me literally writhing in pain while watching Troy. Ugh!

Matt & I hardly go to the movies anymore. Netflix, DVDs, and the cost of going to the movies are deterants but it's more about time. I don't waste time on stupid movies anymore. Life is short. I rely on my friends to warn me about garbage. When I saw the 4th Indiana Jones I called my brother angry. "WHY DIDN'T YOU WARN ME?!" He knew how excited I'd been about it and didn't want to tell me the truth. Bad. Always warn me when a movie sucks. As a friend, I would expect it from any of you, it is your duty. I have been known to walk willingly into train wrecks aka Sex & the City 2, but come on I had to!

I am hoping to embark on a journey this summer, in yet another summer grasping for my youth. To watch all the big popcorn movies on hot days as they were intended: in theatres.

As I sat there on the roller coaster preview ride reminding me of the items at the concession stand I thought Isn't it incredible, with all the ways movie watching has changed and the technology to make them has evolved, you will always find the same items for sale at theatres: coke, m&ms, and buttery popcorn. The way the world works has changed a lot, but going to the movies has not and I am very thankful for that fact.

So, this summer, let's all go to the movies.

- mobile blog post. spelling irrelevant.

No comments: