Saturday, January 8, 2011

be prepared

On Thursday Matt and I saw the scariest freaking movie I've ever seen. It basically foretold that once oil runs out, we're pretty much going back to primitive times of no electricity and farming and hunting. I dunno how much you guys believe in apocalyptic type events happening but come on, if anything Haiti's taught you is that stuff happens and we best be prepared.

The kind of preparedness this movie is advocating is extreme to the max and makes you think about how you would do in a basically life on a deserted island scenario. I am gonna be watching Lost again for research.

Anyway... aside from my already hysterical survivor mentality because when I was about 10 I saw Cujo, a movie where a rabbid dog traps a mom and her kid inside of their car that has run out of gas for days and it's HOT. Yeah, thanks to that I try to have water in my car at all times and also some sort of food. I also try to always have food in my purse in case I get stuck in an elevator with only tic-tacs or in a basement with some chick that has fake nails and wears a wig (name those references!). Yeah Yeah, I'm insane. Or am I?

I want a rain barrel for the house now as well as a solar powered generator and stock up on dried goods and water. Not just for a potential collapse of society but also because duh, we live on an earthquake fault. Why do we live here? It boggles the mind. Anyway, preparedness is something to think about, I think about it even when I haven't seen scary movies, and it's now on my list of things to take care of this year. First step is buying a little solar powered radio (I ordered this large one and this little one from LL Bean since neither requires batteries) and maybe reinstalling a land line on our house since phone lines work in emergency situations when electricity goes out. I'm also gonna work on our earthquake preparedness kit and talk to our families about emergency action plans.
I also need to buy those worse case scenario books so I can learn how to make fire, make water potable and all that stuff. Might make me useful at camping trips or something fun to demonstrate at a party. Anyway, hope you guys think about it too, it's good to be prepared.

2 comments:

the hickles said...

love You've Got Mail. =)

Ambre said...

I was at Evangeline's this weekend and saw a funny Worst Case Scenario book: The Hypochondriac's Pocket Guide to Horrible Diseases You Probably Already Have. =) What was the documentary called, or did you say?