Saturday, June 19, 2010

nordstrom and me

Boring version: I bought three pairs of shoes. The pics are below.

Overindulgent version: I went to Nordstrom Rack after work this week because a friend from work (a rarity since I do not like to mix work and personal life) was having a rough time with her man and we thought a trip to buy shoes would do her good. Instead, I bought a pair of my favorite brand of flip flops:


They were $12.50, normally $20 and their tags are correct because they are "ridiculously comfortable". If ever you wish to invest in a good pair of flip flops, go with Reef, the kind without the rubber straps, the bottom molds to your foot! They are the best.


While there I tried on some heels that go with that trend you kids have of having these high heels with all kids of crazy straps and crap on them, kinda like the Dior Extremes Carrie wears:
I've always found the trend to be a little well, extreme and unlike me but I am a breathing American girl and don't wanna be left out in the cold so I did try them on. And then left them there. The following night I had a dream where in the middle of changing the diaper of a baby I left the baby and went back to the store to buy the heels. Obviously a lot of symbolism in the dream, but I took it to mean that I should go back to the Nordstom Rack and buy the shoes. So I did.
It's about as extreme as this little suburbanite is gonna get. Well since I was going to the Apple store anyway, I went to Nordstrom in the Brea Mall to purchase a shoe my sister, a former employee of both The Rack and Nordstrom Shoe Department dubbed "very trendy/environmentally friendly".
They are very comfortable and not nearly as ugly as I thought they were. I got black nylon with polka dots and I can't wait to wear them on the plane. Also, I am quite proud that going to Nordstrom, the snobbiest of places and one I do not ever set foot in, I got the fashiony attendants to help me purchase shoes that help a needy child in another country get a pair of new shoes. Then, when the girl rung me up, I declined the Nordstrom bag and instead pulled out my reusable bags that as always, prompted the guilty "Oh I have them too, I just always forget them" which makes me give them the tip I always give "just keep them in your bag." So three pairs of shoes later I go full circle. Casual EvY, Trendy EvY, Eco EvY. A look inside my soul, just for buying shoes.

- mobile blog post.

No comments: