Wednesday, September 12, 2012

hanging onto summer

For our last unofficial day of summer vacay, we were smart and visited Disney's California Adventure Park and all their new additions. They've recently updated the area around the Tower of Terror to this awesome throwback to old Hollywood which I am really digging that they're calling "Buena Vista Street". Especially a new statue of Walt + Mickey in their old time Hollywood years. Hearts hearts. I go to Disneyland so often it's not worth blogging about but we were desperate to create new adventures and this trip had quite a few.
They added this trolley which takes you about .01 miles from the entrance to the Tower of Terror that looks pretty cute and rubs in our face the time when Los Angeles might have had a chance at a viable form of public transportation before the evil car companies ruined everything and made us completely a car city needing fuel and tires. But I digress.
 
We went with my pal Trevor who also has a Disney pass and he talked us into the Aladdin Musical Spectacular show. I didn't really need talking into it, I've been wanting to go, but Matt just didn't buy it. I guess another male had to talk him into it. Pretty amazing show actually, can't believe we didn't have to pay for it. Well worth the time. Oh, also we were there on a FANTASTIC day for Disneyland because kids are back at school and the summer crowd is gone and the holiday crowd isn't around yet so it's that wonderful, magical in-between time when you can do things like land 3rd row seats at the Aladdin show while only waiting 30 minutes before hand.
I dunno what California Adventure is trying to accomplish around this area but they had some Mad Hatter Tea Party set up that looked club-like and me suspects it has something to do with making the park more gay/club/party/adult/nightlife friendly. Before this they had some Tron thing that was nothing short of a rave so this tea party thing might be some trippy drug-like thing but Disney'd. I just love giant furniture so I posed for a photo.
Aside from the revamped Hollywood area there was also Cars Land based on that movie that I still haven't seen that doesn't interest me but I suppose I should watch it someday since it was enough of a money maker to warrant making a land for it.
It's weird but these two updates were very retro. Old Hollywood and roadtrip America are not exactly cutting edge, they're banking on our nostalgia for times when we weren't even twinkles in our parent's eyes but darned if it didn't work on me.
Aww remember when people used to road trip and end up in small towns like "Radiator Springs"?
Not a shock but the place is very "car" themed including this wall of gas caps.
Here Trevor demonstrates the light brite looking glass bottles of the "bottle house" while we waited for the Radiator Springs Racers. That ride was awesome by the way and you should most certainly wait the hour it takes to get in there. Or fastpass it. Your choice. 
I really wanted two hats this trip. This was the first of a conductor hat but with Mickey ears.
After all the California adventuring we went to the main park where after many moons of Disneyland visiting I finally waited in line and tried this "dole whip" thing.
 Trevor tried to make it majestic. It wasn't that good.
Ali said I could pull off an Ewok hat. Once it gets warmer I might be bothering Matt for this.
Trying on silly Disneyland hats must be about 70% of Disneyland fun. That's my husband. Trevor is single ladies, in case the R2D2 Mickey hat was any indication.
I gotta say this is the first time I've been at California Adventure and didn't really feel the need for the main park. I think since it had all these new things to explore it gave me plenty to do. They have a new Ghiradelli ice cream shop and about 5 new restaurants in the park including one I'm actually dying to check out and a cafe with real Starbucks coffee so who knows, maybe next time we'll spend all our time at California Adventure. Crazy right?

Oh and I forgot the best part! There were so few people that we went on the tower of terror without waiting much time and we asked the employee if we could just ride it again after our ride and he let us! Twice in a row! Matt wanted to die. I was happy. The end.

No comments: