Thursday, February 7, 2013

she is joy

We have been working long hours on this job and have been going pretty non-stop for awhile. My mom called to ask me if we could just try and bring Angie a little birthday cake and celebrate her since it was her birthday and it would be good to do since my mom is far and send pictures. On the way home we rushed into a supermarket and grabbed any present we could, some candy, a cake, and balloons and visited Angie who turned three.
Her reaction to us and the singing and presents were so full of innocence and surprise and excitement that it choked me up to the point of being unable to finish singing the happy birthday song.

In the midst of all that may be going on in life be it work, home, personal, there is this joy.

Some friends of my sister dropped by and Angie was just as happy with stickers as she was with socks, excited about every single item regardless of size or price. It was remarkable.

It just stopped me dead. Whatever I may have going on in life, there is this constant reminder that we don't need much to be happy or feel satisfied. Inside of us is the capacity to enjoy the little things and remember what truly matters. Not possessions, not money, these things do not bring true happiness. And what do we have to complain about? I mean honestly, what?

So I'm gonna take a cue from Angie and remember to enjoy the little things, cause that little girl means more than anything else we may own and she has gifted us, with joy.

- mobile blog post. spelling irrelevant.

No comments: