Tuesday, December 21, 2010

b&w christmas IV: the table

Damn. Why did I have to be checking out Pier 1's website? Why? And why did I go into the store just to "see them in person". I'm a shopping masochist. They were just so perfect. Silver, covered in glitter, with a red velvet ribbon. Modern lines, almost a little abstract but obviously an eiffel tower.
 And mother eff is that a fleur de lis? I hate you Pier 1. I hate you so good.
 So the unreturnable Target eiffel tower ornaments whos tags I ripped off will become gift toppers. Because I cannot ignore the red and silver ornaments. And what the hell is that?! A packet of  sparkly jewels in red and silver called "table confetti"?!
The black and white Christmas was now infused with red and I freaking loved it. I think I may have taken more pictures of the table than of anything else at the party because I just wanted you all to get a good look at it. I am very proud of my handiwork. Here it is in the morning of the party when I put the cats in the drum room to prevent them from jumping on all my hard work. Waiting for morning so I could lock them up was torture. I really wanted to set the table!
Two days before the party I actually looked up what eating French would mean and it told me that the French MUST have bread on the table. It's a symbol of hospitality and it as a must have period. So I bought bread bowls and used red napkins to keep them warm.
I went for red roses and stuck a few pine twigs in there.
The wine added a touch of something something. Ambre wondered if all the booze on the table made us look like alchies. I said it made us look French.
The napkins, as luck would have it were purchased last year and had French scripted phrases on it. I used them for last year's Christmas party and it was almost as if I'd snuck in a preview for next year's party. I tried to intentionally sneak in a preview for next year's party but I wasn't able to bust them out. Ah well.
The teaspoons in front of the charger were for desert. They were actually useful!
I bought the silver stars at Pier 1. You should have seen my shopping basket, it was all silver and red and made my OCD heart so very happy.
The white cushions were kept out of cat hair vicinity 'til they were safely locked away as well.
And here is the lovely table at night, under glow of tea lights.
Boy am I glad I bought these at Target as soon as the Christmas stuff went on sale. They were $1 each and I bought 12. They were gone from the store within weeks and I will use them forever and ever.
 And here are my beautiful guests, just to prove people actually used the items on the table.
Ooh la la.

No comments: