Tuesday, June 24, 2014

just as i imagined

On Sunday we had our family come up to our house to watch Team USA play since my uncle Rey was in town from Reno, NV; my aunt Carmen was in town from Mexicali, MX; and my sister was in town from Phoenix, AZ. We roll deep. There was about 30 people total in our house and tiny living room.
I felt bad but our family is used to tight quarters. When we're at my nana's house, the living room is teeny tiny and somehow nobody ever complains and there's always plenty of food. And there's oddly never a big line for the bathroom. I think in a big family you learn to go quickly.
Watching a sporting event with a big group is like 10,000 times more fun than watching it alone on your iPad. The two US goals were a big whopping celebration.
When it was over and it was getting a little cooler outside, we all headed to the backyard and then aided by the bucket of summer supplies which included some water balloons, the kids had a great time wetting their fathers and grandmothers and each other. I had imagined such days with my family when planning the backyard and it filled my heart with so much joy to see it coming true. Matt was especially proud for coming up with a game that whoever made the biggest pile of water balloon pieces would win a Pez dispenser. The backyard was cleaned up in a jiffy!
Even having a little sandbox set was used by Lyla. Just wait 'til there's actually a sandbox kid! 
I had moved the old benches by the tree and they were quickly filled since it was the shadiest spot in the backyard. The moms sat and watched their kids and made faces at new babies.
The babies were quite enthralled. One of my aunts said the pressure was on since we seem to make babies cuter and cuter in my family. I mean… look at this boy!
In addition to the testing of the backyard we tested the mamaroo on Vincent and he loved it. We thought he'd start crying and wiggling at some point but nope, he just chilled. My sister nursed him in the glider chair so comfortably it was a nice validation like yup, good idea on that chair.
In the summer bucket there was also a kite and some sidewalk chalk that the kids took advantage of.
It became a fun crime scene.
Every part of the backyard was used and enjoyed. And the front yard too, I didn't get a picture of it but Lyla was running around on the grass eating her plate of chips and pretending to be Princess Jasmine and we did a little sing along of "A Whole New World".
The family thanked us for having them over and they really enjoyed the space.
It was better than I imagined in the end. I mean I imagine all the things I can buy to fill the place up but what really completes this place is friends and family.

No comments: