Tuesday, March 25, 2014

the laundry room: a breath of fresh air

Over the weekend we painted not one but two rooms! Huzzah! And seriously don't ask me why, maybe the madness of impending motherhood but I just did not want my baby girl to arrive in a home where the *gasp* laundry room wasn't painted. What a relief! And a joy because I adore it.
The winning color by accident was "breath of fresh air" by Ben Moore. I had ordered a gallon of it to use for the ceiling of my office in a flat finish but decided it would look good in here too so here we are. I was a little concerned about the flat finish but this room gets so much light that it worked in its favor. It's like a beautiful day no matter what the weather outside may be.
It did make the rest of the white in the room stand out and now I am confident that eventually buying dark grey front loading washers is gonna look dope x a million.
As I've mentioned before I want to do dark grey bottom cabinets and white uppers, like we'll do in the kitchen. And for some reason that little feather duster in there is telling me that wood or some sort of natural type materials will look good here too. Like bamboo blinds and maybe a wood counter top.
I actually very recently found this image and it's pretty on point perfect to what I wanna do in here. I was even scratching my head as to how can I do both open shelving for a few cute things and mostly closed for everything else. There's the answer. The bottom cabinets I've already purposed in my head. The right side thinner cabinet will house the big bag of dog food and the right side drawer (drawer, hadn't even thought of that) will have the leashes and dog stuff and the bottom cabinet will house the laundry basket. I even love that there's a less accessible but still closed upper cabinets where I'd like to store misc. stuff like lightbulbs.
I tried to like this window situation but I just don't. I think bamboo blinds that will mount inside the window are gonna be the way to go.
There's not a LOT of stuff in the laundry room that needs to be stored which is why the eventual cabinet thing will help alleviate some storage space from other areas in the house. 
Inside o' this cabinet is just the lingerie washing bag, other dryer sheets, oxy clean stuff, a basket with the cloths for the mops, and the iron and jar of lightbulbs.
I had the dog leashes hanging here but decided the little duster looks cute on its own.
This little corner is kind of awkward and I wanted to add something here but… less is more. The yellow bin still houses the dog food.
And in between the washer and dryer is still the little expedit.
The top drawer has doggy stuff including the leashes.
And the bottom has their beds and towels.
Not super in love with this scenario but they are accessible.
Hedgehog dryer balls. I mean, come on!
Just for pretties: eventually we'll put some greenery in here.
And this is also pretty much just for pretties. Though if we install a drying line, they will be useful.
And Matt's geeky posters look right at home in here. The frame is a shiny dark grey and because of how good they look with the blue wall I think I'll have to hit up Ikea and grab some more.
I love looking into the room from the living room now.
It's so happy!

No comments: